Monday, April 7, 2008

Elizabeth's Day at UGA

Hi everyone! My mom told me to tell you about my UGA experience so here it is. We got there and there was this big fenced in area where there were two horses which I got to pet. They were really cool. When the horses went away a bunch of dogs came in and did relay races for us(and I thought our dogs were fast!) Sadly we weren't able to see the whole thing because there was a long line waiting at the large animal hospital for a tour and I wanted to go. So we went before the line got longer. When we got to the front a man showed us a room where they keep the pigs and cows. Then, he showed us the recovery room. Next, he showed us a horse in a room getting ready for surgery! The horse was flat on his back and had an oxygen tube down his throat and everything. After that, he showed us a dog having surgery on his leg. It was SOOOO COOOOL! When the tour was over we went into a room where there was a lot of cool things. This lady showed us how to guess a horses age by looking at its teeth. There was also a fake horse heart and a lady showed us how it worked. Then we got to use microscopic surgery equipment to get a gummy bear from one plastic cup to the other. I was a pro!! We also got to use some ultrasound equipment to find strawberries, nuts, and a sock in jello. Next, we went to the front yard and got to see all kinds of animals like lamas, alpaca, cows, dogs, goats, and even a zebra and a camel! After we saw the animals Rebekah, mom, and Rachel went to do teddy bear surgery while I went to the anatomy room. They had a cows head cut in half so you could see the inside of its head. You could see it's brains and air tubes it was really neat. I also got to hold a dogs heart! All of it was somehow sterilized or mummified or something. I then went to see mom and Rebekah, they were still in line so I waited with them. After that we went home. I think after the trip I want to become a vet more than ever. I enjoyed talking to you all. Love,
Elizabeth

No comments: