Friday, April 18, 2008

Elizabeth volunteers at the vet's office

Hello everybody! I had a great time at the vet's office last Tuesday. I got to watch two surgeries!!!!! The first surgery was on a cute little black dog who had two bumps removed. The doctor cut them off with a knife and sowed him up with a special curved needle. Then he cut the bumps open to see what they were, they were large cysts. Then we took him to his cage and the nurse kept rubbing him to keep him warm and checking his tongue to see if it was pink (if the tongue is white it's serious.) When the dog woke up he was really loopy. He kept on shaking and moving his head around like he was a robot.

The next surgery was the best. I got to see a dog spade! First, the nurse let me carry her to a table and I held her still as the doctor put her to sleep. When she was asleep the nurse laid her upside down and shaved the hair off her belly to prevent infection. Then, the nurse took her to the surgery room while I rolled in the equipment. I watched the doctor take out the ovaries and the uterus . During surgery the nurse said the dogs heart rate dropped down to 82! The doctor started blowing into a tube that was down the dogs throat every once in awhile and the dog was all right! The nurse took her to her cage and she woke up immediately. All she did was bark and whimper. The doctor told me she wasn't in pain she just didn't know what she was doing yet. The dog tried to stand up and almost fell out of the cage before it was closed! I had an awesome time and can't wait till tomorrow!!! Love you all!!!!!!!!!!!
Love,
Elizabeth

No comments: